Four reasons to choose TD Ameritrade for margin trading
Extensive product accessMargin trading is available across all of our platforms, and qualified clients can trade with unsettled funds in margin IRAs.
24/7 supportOur trade desk team of experienced traders can assist with all your margin questions 24/7 at 866-839-1100.
Straightforward pricingKnow what you’re paying with straightforward pricing and no hidden fees
The benefits of a margin trading account
- Leverage assets to increase your buying power
- Access funds without liquidating your current assets
- Get a line of credit with potential payment flexibility
- Diversify your portfolio and market exposure
- Increase your ability to short sell and profit from stock declines
- Qualified traders can trade options and futures in margin IRA's and are able to trade funds immediately when they close a position
The risks of margin trading
It's important to understand the potential risks associated with margin trading before you begin.
- Greater potential risk of loss from increased leverage
- Additional costs from margin interest charges
- Potential margin calls or liquidation of securities**
**Important information about margin calls: The firm can force the sale of securities or other assets in your account(s). The firm can also sell your securities or other assets without contacting you. You are not entitled to a time extension while in a margin call.
How margin trading works
Example of trading on margin
See the potential gains and losses associated with margin trading. For an in-depth understanding, download the Margin Handbook.
Getting started with margin trading
1. Open a TD Ameritrade account
2. Make sure the “Actively trade stocks, ETFs, options, futures or forex” button is selected
3. Fund your account with at least $2,000 in cash or marginable securities
4. Keep a minimum of 30% of your total account value as equity at all times